This started out as a small project to get back into C++ programming after graduating from school a year ago. Basically, a set of FOR loops are used to generate spheres and set their position, size, and color, and output to a .POV file. At first I only had a few spheres on a 2D plane and worked on getting the right kind of tentacles and the right kind of modulation on said tentacles. Eventually I added more spheres, and it grew up into the monster 3D object you see here. The image contains 292000 spheres, altho not all of them are visible on the submitted image. I tried to balance detail versus full-object as much as I could, i.e. retain as much of the full object as I could, while still showing as much detail as possible. The spheres cast no shadows, which gives the object a kind of glowing nature. I tried several textures and materials, but due to the size and amount of spheres present, a standard RGB color setting gave the best results. The nice lighting is accomplished by 2 ambient lights, one in front of the object, the othe under it. Since the lower part of the object is closer to the camera than the upper part, the lower part of the upper spheres get illuminated by both lights, while the lower spheres only get illuminated by a single light, which gives a really sweet color and light balance in the overall picture.
Rendered in POVRay 3.6.1 for Windows, with no jitter, quality 11 and anti-aliasing (0.001 threshold, depth 6)